Improving customer service with 24 hour automated information line
Yodel is a new parcel delivery and collection service brand, with clients and customers being their main focus. Driven by the upsurge in online shopping, the logistics industry is seeing a comparable increase in demand for home delivery and collection services.
Yodel were reviewing the way they enabled their customers to track orders, change delivery address or change delivery date. Yodel's existing automated telephone system needed a radical update to provide the customer service standards necessary for their customers. With a primary aim to produce a quicker, consistent and more efficient service for all callers, they turned to Eckoh for the solution.
Following an in depth Contact Centre Discovery session to establish Yodel's exact needs Eckoh implemented a completely new self-service solution. The system uses a combination of speech recognition and touchtone enabled automation to guide customers effortlessly to their desired outcome; which could be parcel tracking, redelivery or collection options.
When customers call the automated system, they are differentiated through the incoming number they call and then offered the appropriate set of menu options. Integrated with the client's internal CRM system, the solution provides callers with an up-to-date status on their parcel. Using advanced speech recognition alongside the touch tone functionality means that customers can verbally communicate answers in their own words. This provides a much faster customer journey than through conventional IVR menu structures:
• Improved call routing - the customer 'need' is identified and routed appropriately.
• Better security – Identifying and verifying an existing customer. Knowing if they are a residential account or premier customer helps to present them with the correct IVR options (or route them to an agent more quickly).
• Better customer interaction - quick communication with the customer using speech recognition option as well as touchtone.
Implemented within just two months, Eckoh designed and deployed the new cloud hosted IVR service, built on their resilient infrastructure. As well as its advanced functionality, the system is also scalable to support peaks in volumes e.g. Christmas. During these periods, call volumes can range from four to seven times those of a normal week.
In its first day the new system handled over 10,000 calls. Since then, caller interaction levels have been in excess of 90% and brought significant benefits and improvements:
• Around 60% of all calls through the IVR are serviced without any need for a live agent to be involved, increased from 32% on the previous system.
• The percentage of abandoned calls has reduced by 50% as more callers choose to use the new service.
• Calls that go direct to an agent have reduced from c.60% to 10%, far exceeding initial
• Callers can speak to an agent from the main menu with minimal delay.